Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Hubble's Orion Nebula





















The Hubble Space Telescope began the new year with the release of this extraordinary image of the Orion Nebula. The image - one of the most detailed astronomical images ever taken - was captured by Hubble's Advanced Camera for Surveys (ACS) camera, and revealed thousands of stars that had previously been unseen in visible light. NASA's press release can be found here, and images are available for download here.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw a wall-sized print of this picture once. Pretty cool. I just wish I was an astronomer so I knew what it means.

4:43 PM  
Blogger Zosia A. C. Krusberg said...

this image was released yesterday, so it is unlikely it was the same image. however, the orion nebula is one of the most popular celestial sights, and a rich site for star formation.

5:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This picture is real purdy. Is it an original or a print? Who's the artist?

2:29 AM  
Blogger mawiiiah said...

how PRETTY. i love those colors. if Iii were a nebula, that's what i'd be. mmmmhm!

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home